19/07/2013

More doilies and Marrakesh

Hello, a warm welcome to all my new followers via Friend Connect as well as Bloglovin!  I too am discovering new blogs all the time, wow what a creative bunch we are. This week I visited for the first time the lovely blogs of Loved Handmade (Mel's blog and work oozes soul and emotion), Kvalitid (the Danes are masters at minimalist simplicity) and How Sweet to be a cloud (Sweet French blog, need I say more!) Perhaps you have already visited these blogs, if not be sure to pop over. 

On the hooking front I am still playing with doilies and am also juggling the throw inspired by my beaded bracelets which I should have finished ages ago will be finished soon. I have finished hooking the 140 squares, but the huge task is now to sew those squares together. I have this idea to edge the throw in the same type of  beads that inspired the design in the first place, but still need to think more about exactly how I am going to execute my idea.   

Oh, I don't qualify as a master doily hooker yet, but I am trying.  Something went wrong in the third last row of the large doily (which measures 45cm in diameter to give you an idea of sizes here). That something is my chart reading skills of course - I hooked 2 doubles in stead of 1 dc2tog, hence the curly (urgh) edge. Blocking helped somewhat but is not the fix it all in this case. I will be frogging those last three rows and hook it all over again, the perfectionist me won't live the curly bits down otherwise.  


I used 4 shades of Vinnis Nikkim 100% cotton yarn namely Peach, Ruby Grapefruit, Nomvulas Tangerine and Tomato. I found the pattern for the large doily on giftjap and the three smaller doilies from a book full of Japanese doily diagrams that Haafner gifted me. I will be hooking the next round of doilies in Elle Premier, another 100% cotton with a slight sheen I also enjoy working with. 

Colour inspiration for the doilies was drawn from Marrakesh, a city we visited back in 2006 with the eye on buying property in the Medina (old pics OK, they are not the best).  We decided against investing after the visit - at the time we were expecting a space a tad more tranquil, a Medina similar to the parts of the Old Town in Damascus. Tranquil? Marrakech? No, not in a million years, it is a crazy city where one has to bargain really hard for purchases and display one's knowledge of French and Arabic as much as possible! These are a few of the photos I took at the time.  Have a great weekend, cheers! 

 
  
 



22 comments:

  1. Fabulous pics. I'll travel through Morocco in a few months. Do you have any advice for Marrakech? Can you buy yarn and fabrics there?
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://jeanmosshandknits.blogspot.com/2012/04/morocco-revisited.html

      Delete
    2. Jean's article is spot on! You can certainly buy wool in the wool souks. And the most beautiful leather handbags, mine is looking as great as when I bought them. Rub the bags, especially the ohcre and red ones, if they give of colour, don't buy. The colour will always rub off on your clothing. higher quality ons don't give off colour.

      Delete
    3. You can buy a lot of fabric, wool, leather goods, rugs and many more. There are wool souks yay! You will need to drive a hard bargain though, the touts can be quite aggressive from time to time. Even after 5 years of living in the Middle East, we were not prepared for Morocco LOL. You will definitely get lost in the souks, feel hot and bothered. It is utter chaos but the chaos is also part of the charm of this fabulous destination! We love street food but stayed away from the street food in Morocco, perhaps also because the children were small then. The French baguettes are great but many of the dishes is either not safe or not for the fainthearted - ask around for great food stalls/eateries. It is dirty and poor in many areas, don't forget this is Africa! The tranquility displayed in all the coffee table books - well that exists only within the walls of the court yard houses - the minute you step foot out of these charming spaces, you will experience a full blown assault on all your senses. You will have a great time though! I prefer Damascus because it is that much more authentic with crafts practiced the same way for hundreds of years. In Marrakech craft is produced for export and tourists to a big extend. Damascus is however not to be visited at the moment. Wow, happy travels - it is a destination that will grow on you for many more years after the trip. We still want a house there! You are going to have a great experience, enjoy. xxx

      Delete
  2. Lovely doilies! Maybe I will give them a try. Your pictures from Marrakech are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post!Thanks for sharing!
    Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great pics!!
    xo, martina♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the marrakech pictures, those colors, yummie!!!!! I would love to have the name of the Dolliebook that haafner gave you because i LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the book http://www.etsy.com/listing/104748595/ebook-japanese-craft-book-10cm-small

      Delete
    2. Ah coming back to you, take alook here are the others http://crochet.korabel.net/motivi/Motivy/picture46.php

      Delete
  6. Really beautiful colored crochet work! And the pictures you show of Marrakesh are really inspiring (and now I want to travel ...)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the vintage look of your doilies!!!
    and hank you for sharing your Marrakesh pics.....Cairo's souk is not that different!!!
    xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy to discover your blog today! I love the way you write and show us your pictures.
    Last May we spent 9 days in Marrakesh with our three daughters (6-8-10 years). We were there to celebrate a Morrocan wedding of a friend; what an experience!
    If you like you can see some photos on my blog.
    Best regards from Holland,
    Nathaly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arab and Berber weddings are the best, you were very lucky! I will pop over to your blog to see the pics. Have you read Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir? it is a phenomenal story and one gains a very deep insight into this culture. Cheers!

      Delete
  9. these are so beautiful. the colours of that yarn is stunning too...

    What size hook do you use for these? they look so intricate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a hook size 4 on a DK yarn but I think size 3,75 is more suited. I am using a hook 3 on the same yarn for a neck thing at the moment and that looks great too!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow - where to begin? First: you definitely qualify as a master doily hooker! Your doilies are absolutely fabulous! Those colours... Amazing!
    And I love how you paired them with the Marrakesh pics... (BTW I can relate to what you said about the touts there. They were, ehm, persistent indeed.)

    Having read this lovely post leaves me with a difficult decision to make: hook up a few doilies or rush to Schiphol airport? :-)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha haaaa that is a difficult one, I quite enjoy Schiphol airport too! Thanks for the great reply, I am also sending you Elle Premier to try out - another 100@ cotton with a slight sheen but great for doily hooking. T's holiday here at the Pigtails palace so you will only receive later - apologies! Travelling at the moment!

      Delete
  11. You, my dear lady, are an artist! I am so glad you stumbled across my blog (and left such a kind message) because now I have found your truly inspiring and beautiful blog. You are a breath of fresh, aesthetic air.

    You take hooking to a new dimension....

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. These doilies are so beautiful! The colours are wonderful. I'd say you are definitely a master doily hooker already :) Thanks for your comment the other day on my blog, answering your question, I live in central Spain. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete